Computer-Assisted Language Mediation
UGent Faculty of Arts & Philosophy
CALM is an advanced and high-quality professional postgraduate programme that focuses on the technological skills and tools that are essential in today’s language, translation and communication industry.
The CALM postgraduate programme prepares students for a career in the language, translation and communication industry. Translation memory systems, terminology and data mining tools, speech recognition and machine translation are omnipresent in today’s professional translation environments.
Language and communication professionals increasingly rely on workflow and content management systems, authoring tools and desktop publishing software. Creating web pages and maintaining social
media channels have become part of their fundamental skills set. As technology in learning and teaching becomes standard, language learning is supported by digital resources and communication
The CALM postgraduate course focuses on the technological skills and tools that are required in
today’s information society. It complements language and communication degrees such as Masters in
Translation, Interpreting, Multilingual Communication, Languages and Literature, Journalism Studies,
Communication Studies, etc.
A close collaboration with companies is an integral part of the programme. Students get the opportunity to have a real-world connection by attending the guest lectures given by a number of strategic collaborative partners. The three-month work placement provides an excellent opportunity for the students to gain relevant work experience and to put the acquired technological skills into practice.
Many of our graduates got job offers from leading companies in the language and communication industry, such as Yamagata Europe, Flow Technical Communication, CrossLang, and Hello Customer.
- Digital Communication Management
- Technical Writing
- Digital Public Relations
- Desktop Publishing
- Advanced Website Management
- Project Management
- Audio-visual Language Technologies
- Machine Translation and post-editing
- Terminology and Translation Technology
- Natural Language Processing
- Introduction to Language Processing with Python
- Advanced Language Processing with Python
- Computer-assisted language learning
The CALM postgraduate course is a one-year academic programme consisting of 60 credits. Depending on their interests, students select 8 modules (of 5 credits each) out of the 14 modules offered. The modules are complemented by a 3-month work placement (20 credits) with a company in the language, translation or communication industry. Only students who have taken up 40 credits (8 modules) will be considered for the work placement. All modules are taught in the first two trimesters of the academic year, followed by the work placement.
- Date: 27 september 2021
- Location: UGent, Faculty of Arts & Philosophy
- Contact: Christophe Wybraeke
- Language: English
- Target audience: bachelors or masters with a degree in translation, interpreting & multilingual communication, communication sciences, literature studies, journalism…
- Deadline: please check website, different deadlines apply
- Register with:
- motivational letter
- copy & transcripts of diploma
- Price: max. €2.111,20 (discounts can apply, as well as participation in a selection of modules)
- Certification: postgraduate
- Course Value: 60 ECTS
- Requirements: bachelor or master degree