Introduction to AI and Machine Learning for Biomedical Research
11 October to 8 November 2021
Vlaamse AI Academie
Become familiarized with the basic concepts of machine learning and gain insight into current biomedical research topics that apply these techniques and the possibility of related ethical issues.
Huge amounts of data are available today for biomedical research. These data arise in different forms like images, omics-data, electronic medical files… Machine Learning algorithms can help researchers to find patterns, classify the data or help to make well-founded decisions, based on these data. Typical examples are the analysis of CT scans for cancer diagnoses or the identification of the proper treatment for MS patients.
- You learn about the possibilities offered by artificial intelligence, and about some important concerns when applying them.
- You’re able to assess if these AI techniques might be valuable for your research, or not.
- You get familiarised with the basic terminology so as to better convey your biomedical research problem to an AI expert.
1. Theory (10h)
We look into the theoretical concepts and illustrate them with relevant examples.
- Monday 11 October 2021
13.00-14.00h: Basics of Machine Learning (prof. dr. Jefrey Lijffijt – UGent)
14:15-16:15h: Supervised Learning (prof. dr. Jef Vandemeulebroucke – VUB)
- Thursday 14 October 2021
13:00-15:00h: Unsupervised Learning (prof. dr. Celine Vens – KU Leuven)
- Monday 18 October 2021
13:00-15:00h: Deep Learning and Neural Networks (dr. Joris Roels – VIB/UGent)
- Thursday 21 October 2021
13:00-15:00h: Reinforcement Learning (prof. dr. Pieter Libin – AI Lab VUB)
2. Use cases (4h)
Researchers in the biomedical field present their research and the use of AI techniques.
- Thursday 4 November 2021
13:00-15:15h: Use cases from the biomedical sector (part 1)
- Yvan Saeys (UGent)
- Liesbet Peeters (UHasselt)
- Alexandre Arnould & Melanie Nijs (KU Leuven)
- Walter Daelemans (UAntwerpen)
- Pieter Libin (AI Lab VUB)
- Monday 8 November 2021
13:00-15:15: Use cases from the biomedical sector (part 2)
- Kris Laukens (UAntwerpen)
- Axel Geysels (KU Leuven)
- Alexander Lemm (Amazon AWS)
- Tamas Madl (Amazon AWS)
3. Challenges & ethical issues (2h)
Challenges in collecting and processing data and possible ethical issues when using AI.
- Monday 15 November
13:00-15:15h: Data management and ethics
- Patrick De Mazière (UCLL)
- Bart Vannieuwenhuyse (J&J)
Each module is thought by an expert from a relevant AI domain, and with expertise in biomedical research.
Slides + literature list
Interesting background information
- Deep medicine: How Artificial Intelligence can make Healthcare Human again – Eric Topol
- Inspiring online course: Elements of AI
After this course
The VIB offers several hands-on courses where you can train yourself in AI and machine learning techniques:
- Initiation to Machine Learning – Sven De Groeve
- Regression Analysis – Yvan Saeys
- Deep Learning in Biology (Bioimaging) – Joris Roels
Cancellation and no-show policy
Are you unable to attend this course after all?
Cancellation is free of charge up to 5 days before the start of the activity with a valid reason. In case of no-show or late cancellation with no valid reason presented you will receive a warning. If no-show or cancellation happens a second time (within the context of another course) you won’t be allowed to register for any other activity/course by the Vlaamse AI Academy.
In order to register for this course, please fill in the form below. However, due to large demand, we might not be able to accommodate everyone immediately. A confirmation will follow before the start of the course.
- 11 October – 8 November 2021
- Location: online
- Contact: Laura Alonso
- Language: English
- Target audience: junior researchers (Ph.D., postdoc or equivalent) in (bio)medical research or related research fields.
- Prerequisites: no technical knowledge required
- To ensure qualitative interaction during the course, the amount of participants is limited.
- free for researchers out of Flemish universities
- contact Laura Alonso for the prices out of the academic field in Flanders
- Certification: attendance certificate by Vlaamse AI Academie
👆 Due to large demand we might not be able to accommodate everyone immediately