Machine Learning for medical applications 2021
7 – 12 June 2021
Can machine learning automate and help to extract relevant information from vast amounts of medical data?
This course will help a student acquire knowledge, skills and insight in machine learning in the domain of medical imaging and sensor data. The course will begin with an introduction to the classical techniques in classification, supervised and unsupervised learning, and regression. This will be followed by the newly developed field of machine learning. While the concepts are general, the focus will be on medical applications of these concepts.
The course addresses the machine learning and deep learning paradigm for classification and pattern recognition in vast amounts of data. Examples: How can we program a system in such a way that anomalous frames in an endoscopic video stream are detected automatically? How can we delineate an anatomical structure? In the machine learning paradigm, the solution is found by providing the system with a large number of examples from which, in a training stage, the system tries to generalize. Once trained, the system is then ready to be used on any individual image in the operational stage.
This course is an introduction to classical machine learning and the new paradigms such as convolutional neural nets for deep learning. The topics that will be covered include:
- Architectures for classification and regression
- Overfitting, underfitting, and the generalization gap
- Strategies for learning such as convolutional neural networks
- Hardware and software platforms for machine learning
- The medical context and significance of machine learning
Each day of this 5-day course is organized as follows:
- Introduction to the theoretical topics of the day
- Clinical context and clinical relevance of the topic covered
- Matlab hands-on exercise illustrating the theoretical concepts with clinical examples
- Re-cap, closing remarks, and closure of the day
- Assessment/Examination for the day
The students will be expected to program extensively by themselves. This will enable them to quickly apply their newfound knowledge and learn the material from a practical stand point.
- PHD School
- 7-12 Juni 2021
- Taal: Engels
- Prijs: €550
- Doelgroep: deze cursus maakt deel uit van het reguliere UT curriculum, maar staat open voor externe deelnemers